This year, the Abruzzi Higher Secondary School garden project welcomes contributions by energetic and enthusiastic volunteers who are keen to interact with young students about learning from the great outdoors. This includes assisting teachers with integrating curriculum to the garden.
If you have experience in a particular field, be it Science, Mathematics, English, Urdu, or Balti language, or trees, local food growing, Art, cooking, or wildlife, this is for you.
How you can get involved
Because we believe so much in what we are doing, we have spent countless volunteer hours to get this far. We hope you believe in this project as well and would join us to share some of the weight of these tasks.
Our volunteer efforts in the school garden began in summer of 2011. This year will mark our first attempt to span over the entire 2013 school year, starting March 01. Tasks performed previously have included:
- Clearing overgrown vegetation, accumulated rubble out of the garden area
- Developing a comprehensive master plan reflecting the ideas of the school children
- Marking out the entire master plan on the grounds with the school children
- Managing Construction of an outdoor stage, a badminton court, three stone bridges across the water channel
- Constructing and painting bird boxes.
- Organizing a community Show and Tell day by students, for work completed
- Baking Apple pie/crumble for a bake sale.
This year we continue to look for Self starting individuals who will:
- Sponsor a project
- Donate supplies
- Adopt a portion of the Garden
- Develop curriculum so the school can integrate the garden into classroom lessons and activities
- Train teachers
- Raise Awareness – Spread the word by tweeting, liking on Facebook, email our videos and telling your friends!
- Video Producers
- 3d Cad Design
- Website developers
- Experienced facilitators to deliver sessions about nature and wildlife to the students, which
can be delivered at the school yard, farmland, gardens, mountain tops, springs and any green spaces within Shigar.
- Actors who have experience working with school children to support AHSS’s drama program in 2013 and beyond. Knowledge or keen interest in nature, wildlife and the natural world would be an advantage.
- Seek donations for the many things we are constantly in need of including building materials, plants, tools, seeds, equipment, garden related library books etc.
- Help with gardening chores ranging from building paths, a pond, and construction tasks to:
- cultivate soil, build veg/flower raised or simply on the ground garden beds
- do soil tests, weed and mulch beds, plant and transplant trees
- start and maintain compost area
- plant cover crops, harvest crops, watch for pests
- organize weekly community work days and develop a work schedule for weekly volunteers
- schedule class use for the garden and help plan a garden schedule that is most suited to the school’s needs. post garden maintenance tasks for everyone
- plan a holiday maintenance program ( for summer and winter off school time) and summer school activities
- create a supply ordering system
- help with construction of outdoor kitchen, green house, cafeteria, rock climbing wall and pond and enhance you architectural and design skills
For local volunteers from Shigar and its surrounding valleys volunteer work sessions will take place weekly on Saturdays from 9 am to 12 noon. No need to book, just turn up starting:
Saturday March 02 2013 – through Saturday July 06 2013
Saturday August 17 2013 – through Saturday Nov 02 2013
For out of towners, volunteer opportunities at the Abruzzi School Garden are in two sessions running from four to six weeks:
- 1st session: June 03 2013 to August 03 2013
- 2nd session: August 12 2013 to October 31 2013
Monday – Saturday 9 AM to 5 PM
Sunday – holiday
If you are passionate about teaching Outside the Classroom and are interested in participating in any of the above, please contact
tahereh sheerazie at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details
by March 31 2013